What We Stand For
by James Garfield
We stand for...
- We call ourselves Christians or Disciples of Christ.
- We believe in God the Father.
- We believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and our Savior. We regard the divinity of Christ as the fundamental truth of the Christian system.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, both as to His agency in conversion and as indwelling in the heart of the Christian.
- We accept both the Old and the New Testament Scriptures as the inspired Word of God.
- We believe in the future punishment of the wicked and the future reward of the righteous.
- We believe that the Deity is a prayer-hearing and a prayer-answering God.
- We observe the institution of the Lord’s Supper on the Lord’s Day. To this table, we neither invite nor debar; we say it is the Lord’s Supper for all of the Lord’s children.
- We plead for the union of God’s people on the Bible and the Bible alone.
- Christ is our only creed.
- We maintain that all the ordinances should be observed as they were in the days of the apostles.